Elixir with Love
Code of Conduct
Elixir with Love has one goal: to foster an inclusive and educational Elixir community expanding far and wide to a diverse group of participants. We are dedicated in no uncertain terms to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, mental and physical health, and religion (or lack thereof).
This code of conduct is therefore much more than a obligatory safety net; it is a foundation for the community we hope to set forward. It outlines our expectations for all those who participate in this community, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior.
We cheer on Elixir with Love participants to help us create safe and positive experiences for everyone.
1. Open [Source/Culture/Tech] Citizenship
An important aim of this Code of Conduct is to increase open [source/culture/tech] citizenship by encouraging participants to recognize, strengthen, and take ownership of the relationships between our actions and their effects on our community.
Communities mirror the societies in which they exist. Positive actions and proactive measures are essential to counteract the many forms of inequality and abuses of power that exist in society.
If you see someone who is making an extra effort to ensure our community is welcoming, friendly, and encourages all participants to contribute to the fullest extent, we want to know.
2. A Social Contract
The following behaviors are expected and requested of all community members:
- Participate in an authentic and active way. In doing so, you contribute to the health and longevity of this community.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Attempt collaboration before conflict.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert community leaders if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
- Remember that community event venues may be shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
3. Unacceptable Behavior
The following behaviors are considered harassment and are unacceptable within our community:
- Violence, threats of violence or violent language directed against another person.
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
- Posting or displaying sexually explicit or violent material.
- Posting or threatening to post other people’s personally identifying information (“doxing”).
- Personal insults, particularly those related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability.
- Inappropriate photography or recording.
- Inappropriate physical contact. You should have someone’s consent before touching them.
- Unwelcome sexual attention. This includes, sexualized comments or jokes; inappropriate touching, groping, and unwelcomed sexual advances.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following (online or in person).
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
- Sustained disruption of community events, including talks and presentations.
4. Weapons Policy
No weapons will be allowed at Elixir with Love events, community spaces, or in other spaces covered by the scope of this Code of Conduct. Weapons include but are not limited to guns, explosives (including fireworks), and large knives such as those used for hunting or display, as well as any other item used for the purpose of causing injury or harm to others. Anyone seen in possession of one of these items will be asked to leave immediately, and will only be allowed to return without the weapon. Community members are further expected to comply with all state and local laws on this matter.
5. Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior from any community member, including sponsors and those with decision-making authority, will not be tolerated.
Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
If a community member engages in unacceptable behavior, the community organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including a temporary ban or permanent expulsion from the community without warning (and without refund).
6. Reporting Guidelines
Additionally, community organizers are available to help community members engage with local law enforcement or to otherwise help those experiencing unacceptable behavior feel safe. In the context of in-person events, organizers will also provide escorts as desired by the person experiencing distress.
Visit our Reporting Guidelines for more information.
7. Addressing Grievances
If you feel you have been falsely or unfairly accused of violating this Code of Conduct, you should notify Elixir with Love with a concise description of your grievance. Your grievance will be handled in accordance with our existing governing policies.
8. Beyond the Conference
We expect all conference participants (contributors, paid or otherwise; sponsors; and other guests) to abide by this Code of Conduct in all community venues—online and in-person—as well as in all one-on-one communications pertaining to the tech community at large.
This code of conduct and its related procedures also applies to unacceptable behavior occurring outside the scope of conference activities when such behavior has the potential to adversely affect the safety and well-being of the larger tech community.
9. Contact Information
10. License and Attribution
Initial EWL Revision 1.0 posted May 13th, 2017
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.